December 8, 2009

Perfect Flame Grills Recalled for Product Defects that Pose Fire Hazard

A defective product recall has been issued for more than 600,000 Perfect Flame SLG Series gas grills, which were sold exclusively at Lowe's stores. According to a news report in Consumeraffairs.com, the gas burners on these grills can deteriorate causing irregular flames and the lids of some models can catch fire posing a serious fire and burn injury hazard to users. So far, LG Sourcing has received about 40 reports of fires as a result of this product defect and about 23 lids catching fire. There was also one report of an eye injury that required surgery and 21 incidents of burn injuries to consumers' hands, arms or face.

The recalled grills are the SLG series Perfect Flame brand outdoor propane or natural gas grills, which are painted black or gray metal. The products, which were manufactured in China, were sold at Lowe's retail outlets nationwide between September 2005 through May 2009 for between $200 and $500. Consumers who own these defective grills are asked to stop using the products and contact LG Sourcing to get a free replacement burner and depending on the model, a free replacement lid.

Continue reading "Perfect Flame Grills Recalled for Product Defects that Pose Fire Hazard" »

November 19, 2009

Flammable Robes Recalled, Linked to Nine Deaths

The connection between nine deaths and extremely flammable women’s robes has instigated a recall by Blair LLC. According to a kfoxtv.com report, a Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) announcement stated that four additional reports of death linked to the full-length women’s chenille robes have been reported to Blair LLC of Warren, PA since June. Because of this, the company has expanded its recall to incorporate additional products imported from the Pakistani manufacturer. The recall now includes more chenille robes and three other chenille products, all made by A-One Textile & Towel, of Karachi, Pakistan.

What has been quite unnerving to consumers is that these dangerous robes were initially recalled in April by Blair after it discovered that three robes caught fire, including one incident in which a consumer suffered second-degree burns. Considering that the robes fail to meet federal flammability standards, they present great risk of serious burns to anyone who wears the garments while exposed to an open flame, such as a stove in the kitchen. Most of the reported deaths linked to the full-length robes took place when the victims were wearing the robes while cooking. A CPSC spokesman said that the victims were mainly in their 70s and 80s.

Continue reading "Flammable Robes Recalled, Linked to Nine Deaths" »

October 27, 2009

Twin Sisters Suffer Critical Burn Injuries from House Fire

Burn injuries can happen in a matter of seconds, but the pain caused by such injuries can last a lifetime. Whether a person suffers first, second, or third degree burns, in many cases, a burn injury victim may have to endure years of rehabilitation and even multiple surgeries to help avoid disfigurement or scarring. Unfortunately, in a number of incidents, disfigurement can be permanent. Burn injuries are commonly seen in auto accidents, but some other causes of burn injury have been associated with explosions, faulty products, defective equipment, and a wide-range of negligent behavior and careless action. And as a recent komonews.com article demonstrates, critical burn injuries can be caused by house fires as well.

According to the report, twin 9-year-old sisters suffered critical burns from a house fire in Yelm, but are expected to recover. The fire is said to have been started in an electrical socket in a front room in the house. Others in the home during the time of the fire received treatment for smoke inhalation. The twin girls suffered severe lung burns. Apparently the fire began around 2 a.m. on October 1, 2009 and the survival of the two young girls can be attributed to their step-dad who, after escaping the burning house, returned to rescue the twins.

Continue reading "Twin Sisters Suffer Critical Burn Injuries from House Fire" »